FactCheck.org “fact checked” Day 3 at the Democratic Convention. They did terribly.
- PF: “The president repeated a frequent boast that the U.S. “doubled our production of clean energy” during his tenure. Monthly renewable energy production has gone up 40 percent.”
The White House said he was referring to wind, solar and geothermal, which are three types of renewable resources promoted in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. The Energy Information Administration confirmed that capacity had basically doubled between 2009 and 2012, accomplishing Obama’s goals. Renewable resource advocates also agreed that the Recovery Act contributed to that growth.
- PF: “Vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine falsely referred to economist Mark Zandi as “John McCain’s chief economic adviser during the ’08 race,” in touting an estimate of job loss under Donald Trump’s proposals. In fact, Zandi is a Democrat.”
Sen. John McCain released a list of his advisory committee of economists Thursday. The list includes some well-known business economists.
Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Economy.com, is one of the most widely quoted economists in news articles. In an interview, he said he became involved with the campaign over a year ago through Kevin Hassett, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and adviser to Mr. McCain in 2000. Though a registered Democrat, Mr. Zandi calls himself “eclectic … I’ve done work for both Democrats and Republicans.” On whether his advisory position would compromise the advice he gives clients, he said a possible conflict had yet to arise. If it did, he would recuse himself. Asked whether his employer, Moody’s Corp., had a policy on employees participating in campaigns, Mr. Zandi said, “I don’t know. I guess I’d better find out.”
- PF: “Obama said deficits have “come down” under his administration. That’s true, but they are expected to rise again soon under his proposed budget.”
- PF: “Former Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta falsely claimed that Trump “says he gets his foreign policy experience from … running the Miss Universe pageant.” Trump didn’t say that was his foreign policy experience.”
Donald Trump says he understands Russia, and in an interview Thursday, he offered a glimpse of where his expertise derives from.
“I know Russia well. I had a major event in Russia two or three years ago, Miss Universe contest, which was a big, big, incredible event. An incredible success,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News Channel’s Bret Baier Thursday night.
- PF: “Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid claimed that the GOP ticket wanted to “gamble” Social Security “in the stock market.” But Trump’s campaign has called for making no changes to Social Security.”
The solution to the Great Social Security crisis couldn’t be more obvious: Allow every American to dedicate some portion of their payroll taxes to a personal Social Security account that they could own and invest in stocks and bonds. Federal guidelines would make sure that your money is diversified, that it is invested in sound mutual funds or bond funds, and not in emu ranches. The national savings rate would soar and billions of dollars would be cycled from savings, to productive assets, to retirement money. And unlike the previous system, the assets in this retirement account could be left to one’s heirs, used to start a business, or anything else one desires.
Privatization would be good for all of us. Directing Social Security funds into personal accounts invested in real assets would swell national savings, pumping hundreds of billions of dollars into jobs and the economy. These investments would boost national investment, productivity, wages, and future economic growth.
- PF: “Kaine claimed that Trump said he “wants to abandon” our NATO allies. Trump has said that he doesn’t want the U.S. to leave NATO, but has suggested he would not automatically defend NATO allies that do not pay their share of defense costs.”
Does Politifact not understand how treaties work? NATO is not a protection racket, and we can’t just demand other countries pay for our services.