Started with this disc:
Erased the stamp, with acetone:
Found a sketch of the western hemisphere continents:
Printed that out, taped it to a piece of adhesive vinyl. Cut it out with an exacto knife:
Stuck the vinyl to the disc:
Hand-painted the continents using dye mixed with white glue. I've never hand painted a disc, and I had no idea how it would work. And I had to mix colors to get brown (blue + orange), so I didn't know what I was going to get... but, fear is the mind-killer.
Let that sit for a few hours in a very low oven. Then, pulled it out and took off the vinyl:
The glue had hardened and mostly stuck, except for Alaska, which ripped off. I'll fix it in post!
Mixed up a bed of blue, purple and green for water.
Dropped the disc in there for 20 hours. Pulled it out. Hand-touched Alaska and a few spots where air bubbles had made blanks. And... done!
The glue on the continents had apparently dissolved into the glue bed for the water. When I took it out there was no trace of the thick glue layers. And the dye is reallllly saturated there. Not exactly what I was expecting.
I don't hate it. Learned a lot.