Walk Score will tell you how walkable your neighborhood is. Mine is a 26 / 100 (bad). But even that's too high, since:
- it apparently calculates distance as-the-crow-flies, not as the streets go.
- the bookstore it says is 1 mile away is actually more like 2mi away and it's a Mormon bookstore.
- the clothing store it says is 1 mile away is a home-based embroidery shop.
- the closest bar is 1.2mi, as the crow flies (more like 2.2mi on roads). But, there is a bar 1.2mi away - but who's walking 1.2mi to go to a bar?
- the movie theater might be 1.2mi away, if I had a zeppelin. But it's more like 3mi on roads. And not a single one of those roads has a sidewalk. Half of them are unlit no-shoulder country roads.